The Pilot's Certificate
Conditions of obtaining
To obtain the ULM pilot license, whatever the class concerned, you must:
- To be 15 years old;
- Hold the theoretical certificate common core, issued by Civil Aviation. (Examination in the form of multiple choice questions, organized by the territorial delegations).
- Have satisfied, with an instructor of the corresponding class, to:
A test on the ground. (Control of theoretical knowledge of the ULM class practiced).
An event in flight. (Verification of procedures and ability to fly a ULM safely, can be done in continuous control, or by a specific flight).
The instructor establishes the various certificates, which will be required by the territorial delegation of attachment, for the issue of the pilot's license.
Since the decree of May 4, 2000, there is no more equivalence. You must pass all the tests to obtain your ULM pilot certificate.
However, you are exempted from passing the ULM common theoretical certificate if you meet one of the conditions listed below:
1. Have obtained a satisfactory result on the theoretical examination of a pilot license for an airplane, helicopter , glider or ultra-light powered aircraft (ULM);
- an aircraft pilot certificate issued in accordance with the abovementioned Order of 31 July 1981, or
- an airplane pilot's license issued in accordance with the decree of 29 March 1999 on the licensing and qualifications of flight crew members (FCL 1);
- a helicopter pilot license issued in accordance with the Order of 12 July 2005 on the licensing and qualifications of helicopter flight crew members (FCL 2).
3. Hold an aircraft pilot's license, issued by a Member State of the European Community, another State Party to the European Economic Area, or by the Swiss Confederation, in accordance with the standards of the Convention on the Protection of international civil aviation.
It is necessary to pass the theoretical part specific to the chosen ULM class and practice with an instructor.
The passenger load
After sufficient experience as a single-seater pilot (around 40h), you can pass the test "Passenger Passport" with an instructor of the class practiced.
This review is prepared by referring to the federal program.
The 4 stages of a
practical training course in the ULM pilot's license
1 / Basic management
Piloting learning and flight management
- Use of the engine in flight. (engine effect, use of throttle, slope / rpm relationship)
- Study of level flight, uphill flight, and descent flight, use of the compensator
- Axis hold and drift correction
- Study of flights at large angles, stall, prevention of asymmetrical stall
- 30 degree turn in horizontal flight, precise cornering and turning, downhill and uphill turns
- Use of high-lift means if available
- Evolutions chained. (Succession of turns uphill, downhill and landing)
- Dispersion of attention and safety in circuit, conduct of the flight
- Alignment and powering
- Take-off axis take-off
- Rotation and safety stop
- Slope of climb
Runway and landing
- Standard integration in circuits and PTL
- Radiotelephony: circuit phraseology
- Study of the landing without wind, then gradually with wind
- Visualization of the angles alpha and 2 alphas
- Benchmark: end point and rounded
- Management of the final. (Slope speed, axis behavior, management of turbulence and wind gradient)
- Deceleration stop, touchdown and ground control
Study of breakdowns to be carried out during all the training
- At takeoff
- In circuit
- In campaign
- Engine landing cut
- PTS, PTL and PTE
- Solo touring sessions
2 / Accumulation flight
Discovery of the environment and the flight area of the ULM.
- Description of the aircraft and pre-flight visit
- vital actions
Discovery of the flight
- Security start
- Safety rolling
- Primary controls (pitch, roll, yaw)
- Primary and induced effects of commands
- Symmetry of the flight
3 / Development phase
Management of improvement
- Study of turns with large inclinations
- Dive and pitch-up outputs
- Study of asymmetrical flight: skid and slip (for multiaxis)
- Cross-wind landing. (If not seen in basic driving)
- Study of the UTP
- Landing on other grounds
- Precision Landing
- Warning flight for asymmetrical stalls and departure in auto rotation *
* Visualization of the beginning of the phenomenon and only if the apparatus is authorized there.
Initiation to navigation
- Preparation for navigation and reading of aeronautical charts
- Weather information
- Management of navigation and security with landed on another ground
- Radiotelephone en route
4 / Final test
Composition and duration of the test
The composition and duration of the test are the choice of the tester, if possible other than the trainer.
If the student passes the test, the instructor will certify that he / she is declared qualified to obtain the ULM license and license.
The training is permanent and you have to know how to question yourself, the instructors will always be there to help you.
The 3 phases of the ULM pilot training curriculum
The granting of the ULM pilot's license
Passenger allowance authorization
The issuance of the radio qualification (for pilots who so wish)
The training phase is defined by the new training program. It is based on a set of theoretical and practical courses *
* Each student is unique, the duration will be adapted to the skills of each.
If successful, a flight and ground clearance certificate for the issuance of the ULM license and license is issued by the instructor.
This is the development and training phase for the passenger:
Additional instruction to long-range navigation (theory and practice)
The maneuverability of passenger transport. This instruction is based on twenty courses focused on exercises of handling.
If successful in the final tests, a certificate is issued by the instructor to obtain the passenger authorization.
During the pilot student's training course, he / she may be assigned, if he / she so desires, the radio qualification *
* According to the theoretical program of training in radiotelephony in French.
After a specific theoretical and practical instruction, acquired simultaneously throughout his training, he will be able to take the final test.
The latter will consist, during a navigation with his trainer, to cross a controlled area, and to land on an airfield itself controlled.
To succeed in this test, it will suffice to provide proof of mastery of standard phraseology, compliance with the rules of the air and different procedures.
If successful in the final tests, a certificate is issued by the instructor to obtain the qualification for radiotelephony in French.